16 April, 2012

A to Z Challenge: N is for News


The purpose of news is to answer one question: "What's happening?" The best news is impartial, informative, and helps you determine your own opinion on a given topic.

For the writer, it's almost as important as putting pen to paper. How else do you find out about new books, valuable writing techniques, training, conferences, contests, and local groups? Best of all, you can find out about new gadgets and technology that are fun, yes, but could possibly help you streamline your writing process...or at least make it easier to sit down to the task at hand.

Find a good writing news site, blog, or twitter feed and subscribe to it. You don't have to look at it every day but it's good to have around. Just make sure it's reputable and free of unnecessary drama.

If you need help getting started, here's a few of my favorite news gathering points:



What fun, writerly things has a good news piece brought to you?
Feel free to share in the comments!

8 comments:

  1. The challenge has been so hectic, I only got to your blog today. I had a peek from your J-post onwards.
    ... and a suggestion for your S-post on Saturday... SERENDIPITY.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! I feel like I'm hanging on by a thread some days. Thanks for taking the time to look back through the older posts!

      I will add that suggestion to the list - thank you!

      Delete
  2. I usually just take a glance through Twitter in general to get my news. I should probably subscribe to a website that has writing news or something at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say whatever works for you. With so many writers and editors on Twitter these days, you probably get the majority just fine, anyway.

      Delete
  3. I like Twitter for news, too. I also find useful information through various Linked In groups.

    I nominated you for the Sunshine Award. I know you're busy with the A-Z challenge, but maybe you can do it in May. If you want it, pick it up at my blog, Mama Diaries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten the hang of Linked In groups just yet, but I'm trying to make it a bigger source of news and updates for myself.

      Thank you so much! I'll definitely do it in May, after this craziness is over. :)

      Delete
  4. I use Google Plus - I've added a circles for authors, aspiring authors, and industry news (agents, editors, publishers). And I rely on all the great blogs I follow too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, one I haven't thought of before.

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments! Please, leave one or many (visitors or comments, it's all good). Just remember to play nice with others. Also, don't spam. I'll have to dump you in the trash compactor if you do. And then the dianoga will eat you. Ask yourself: is it worth getting eaten?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...