01 December, 2011

NaNoWriMo: Epic Zombiefication

Editor's Note: I have been informed that my NaNoWriMo attempt should not be called an "Epic Fail." Therefore, I am changing the title to "Epic Zombiefication." Because I can make up words, too.


"I've got better things to do," I said.

"You need to eat," I said.

"All semblance of sanity will be ripped from your mind, stomped into teensy weensy bits in a field of sludge, and scrambled back into your brain in a mockery of what was once there," I said.

And did I listen? I. Think. Not. (Kudos if you know where that one is from.)

I had every plan to write my NaNoWriMo book to its completion this year and, for the first week, it seemed to be going well. Not great or even good, mind you, but hope still lived within my beating heart and that is always a decent sign of good things to come.

Then my freelancing kind of exploded, in the every-morsel-of-flesh-ripped-in-screaming-shreds-from-my-body kind of way. (Don't you just love the images I leave you with? You're welcome.) Hello, 60 to 70-hour work weeks and goodbye...everything else.

I would have still cheerfully made an effort to continue onward but a secondary explosion went off while everyone in my head was still stumbling away from the shock wave of the first fiery missile: moving plans that had to be dealt with A.S.A.P.

Trust me, if I could have remained awake for the remaining five hours of each day, I would have gladly crawled on. But by this time, I was running on my backup's backup power and nothing very human, much less coherent, made it into the light of day.

Every day, I hated NaNo more for existing while I could not and for taunting me with its promises of full word counts and purple-barred glory. My hatred has now eased out of pure exhaustion and I have come to terms with what must be at this time in my life. There will be other NaNos and purer triumphs, I am sure. My story is certainly in no danger as its six-year expansion in my head continues to grow by the day.

So, to all of you who crossed the finish line with flying colors: bravo! I am happy for you, if a little bruised in spirit.

_____________________________

Note: I practically won, anyway, since the wave of short story orders I ghostwrote equaled much more than fifty thousand words...

2 comments:

  1. I can completely relate. I didn't even attempt NaNo this year because I knew I have way too much on my plate at the moment. However, I did write and submit a couple of articles. I did start fleshing out a new story idea. And I managed to break a record of postings on my own blog.

    Don't consider your NaNo attempt an epic fail, instead consider it a marathon you continue to train for. Even if you only make a few hundred words a day on your novel, you are at least making some progress. No failure in that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen. And I am very happy to hear about your progress in writing this month! I guess the key is to just keep moving forward, wherever and however fast that is. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments! Please, leave one or many (visitors or comments, it's all good). Just remember to play nice with others. Also, don't spam. I'll have to dump you in the trash compactor if you do. And then the dianoga will eat you. Ask yourself: is it worth getting eaten?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...