29 September, 2014

Flash! Friday Fiction: Obedience


After planning to do so for months, I finally took the time to participate in Flash! Friday.

For those not in the know, Flash! Friday involves a 160-word max story prompted by a picture and sometimes a phrase, word, or idea that can be included for bonus points. You write/turn in the story on Friday and find out what came of it on Monday. Winning gets you attention, an interview, and more attention.

I didn't win, didn't even get an honorable mention, but it was fun to stretch those muscles. I'm glad I did it. Might even do it again. (If you want to join me, check it all out here.)

I've posted my story below, along with the picture prompt, just for the fun of it. Enjoy!





Obedience

 by Jessica Marcarelli


“Give him to me, Siri.”

Siri handed the little boy down to his mother, who stood on the lower lip of the tiered dock.

The man beside Siri handed her a gas mask. “Remember: only when the poison becomes airborne.”

“Yes, master.”

“Don’t follow us. Wait here.”

“Yes, master.”

She held an umbrella over his head as he shimmied down the rope to join his family. All three disappeared into the underground waterway.

A siren sounded. Siri looked out over the village. Silent packages dropped from approaching airships. Houses ignited and a green mist rose with the smoke.

The robotic maid jerked as her legs attempted to move. If she remained, the poison would eat away her synthetic skin, fuse her processors, and she would cease to exist.

But her master had told her to stay. Her preservation protocols could not override her obedience chip.

Siri strapped on the gas mask, raised the umbrella, and watched the approaching green mist.

__________________________________________________




Did you participate in Flash! Friday this week? Leave a link to your story in the comments - I'd love to check it out.


1 comment:

  1. Cool story! Going to check out the Flash! Friday link now.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments! Please, leave one or many (visitors or comments, it's all good). Just remember to play nice with others. Also, don't spam. I'll have to dump you in the trash compactor if you do. And then the dianoga will eat you. Ask yourself: is it worth getting eaten?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...