03 April, 2019

Craft of Writing ( #AtoZChallenge )



"I write to discover what I know." - Flannery O'Connor

Never has the above quote been so true in my own life. I'm a writer, an enthusiast since I was in grade school and a professional for about fifteen years. In all that time, as I have learned and honed the craft of writing and stretched those creative muscles, the reasons for doing so have changed. For it's own sake, for wealth and fame, for literary excellence, for my faith, for my own ego - all have been my purpose at one time or another.

Then my life took several unexpected turns. I got sick. I lost several pregnancies. My faith strengthened to a complete conversion to Catholicism. I finally got to hold my firstborn at the end of a draining but successful pregnancy. Writing took a backseat to life. With a second bundle of joy last year and a body crumbling under multiple chronic illnesses, I thought writing was a thing of the past in my life.

And then. It came back. Time opened up, as well as the ability to form thoughts and ideas again. My expertise in the craft is now a bit rusty but I am truly enjoying myself again. I am content to see how this new phase of writing develops. Because, now, like Flannery O'Connor, I write to see what I know, to examine ideas close to my heart, and to share the best - and maybe even the bad - with those who may need it.

Are you a writer? How do you find the writing craft has changed for you?

__________





This is a post for the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, one post (and letter) for each day in April. I hope to see you tomorrow for the letter D!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love visitors and I love comments! Please, leave one or many (visitors or comments, it's all good). Just remember to play nice with others. Also, don't spam. I'll have to dump you in the trash compactor if you do. And then the dianoga will eat you. Ask yourself: is it worth getting eaten?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...